March 21, 2011

Oatmeal Lemon Creme Bars




I got this recipe off of Sunday Treats blog. I just found their blog and I really enjoy it. I altered this recipe I little bit, I added about a 1/3 of a cup more oatmeal to the topping and I also added 1 tablespoon of lemon emulsion. I brought these to some bible school students when I went to visit my sister who is attending Briercrest College and Seminary in Caronport Saskatchewan. They all loved them and eat quite a few of them.

This recipe is definitely a keeper!

Oatmeal Lemon Creme Bars
Makes 54 bite size bars

zest of one lemon
2/3 cup lemon juice
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 c flour
1 1/3 c oatmeal (quick or old fashioned)
1 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
9 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp lemon emulsion

1. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper

2. Combine lemon juice, zest, and sweetened condensed milk, stirring until smooth.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, salt, and baking powder. Pour in melted butter and mix with fingers until mixture is crumbly.

4. Press a little more than half the crumb mixture into the 9x13 pan. Top with the sweetened condensed milk mixture. Sprinkle the rest of crumb mixture over the top.

5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until edges are just starting to brown.

6. Let cool in pan on wire rack, then chill until cold. Using parchment, remove bars from pan onto cutting board. Cut into small bars. Store in refrigerator.

ENJOY!

No comments: