April 04, 2011

Cheese Straws


I made these the other day to go with a dinner that I made for my family. They are a nice side instead of bread, as bread does take awhile to make. So you don't have to go all out and make a yeast bread or buy some. They are good and they have cheese in them! Which of course makes them better.

Today I was with my brother and we were making some soup. He was wondering if we should add some havarit cheese to it. So I told him we should as cheese makes everything better, and he did agree to that. He couldn't think of anything that had cheese in it that didn't taste good. So you know what we did?!? we added some! and it did taste good. Mmm... how I love soup on cold and rainy days.

Plus I can't eat anything as I had all my wisdom teeth pulled out a couple days ago so basically my diet has been, yogurt, smoothies and soup! But some time soon I may be able to eat something that has some substance to it. Hopefully....

Well back to the recipe as you are probably wondering what it is by now!

About 3/4 cup all purpose flour... I think I did like 1 cup
pinch of salt
5 Tbsp butter
2/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
poppy seeds for sprinkling (I did half with poppy seeds and half with out)

Stir together the flour and salt together in a bowl.
Add the butter to the mixture and cut in with a pastry blender, until it resembles small peas.
Add the cheese and half of the egg, mix to form a dough. It may be really crumbly... if it is just add a bit of water to make the dough stick together. 1 tsp at a time.
Wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400*
Grease a couple of cookie sheets with butter.
Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut into strips about 3 inches by 3/4 of an inch.
Place on the cookie sheets.
Brush the tops with the remaining egg and sprinkle on the poppy seeds.
Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
Transfer to wire wracks and cool.


Then eat them all up and enjoy!

No comments: