November 16, 2011

Recipe # 8 ~ Apple-Cranberry Crisp with Apple Custard Sauce



I made these for dessert last night, I decided to make individual ones in ramekins. I bought some orange ones the other day and really wanted to use them. I also wanted to make something that my sister could eat as she cannot eat sugar. And this recipe doesn't have a lot so it was easily substituted with coconut sugar. She said that it was the best dessert she has had in about 3 months! So I think that was a pretty good compliment. I also added pears to this recipe, so it is about half pear, half apple. 


I didn't have time to make the apple custard sauce so I just used vanilla ice cream to accompany my dessert, but I really want to try the custard so I think I will make it one day as is sounds really good. I really enjoy any kind of crisps and they are always great to make all year long. You can use any type of fruit that is in season and just cut it up and make a topping for it. Such an easy, fast and delicious dessert anytime.



Topping:

1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. old fashioned oats
1/2 c. (packed) golden brown sugar
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. chilled butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes


Whisk flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in large bowl. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until moist clumps form.

Filling:

2 1/2 pounds large granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/3 inch thick wedges
1 c. fresh or frozen cranberries (unthawed)
1/3 c. sugar
2 T. fresh lemon juice
2 t. finely grated lemon peel
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375*. Butter 10-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Place apples in large bowl. Mix in cranberries, sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Transfer fruit mixture to prepared dish, mounding slightly in center.

Sprinkle topping over fruit. Bake until apples are tender, about 45 minutes. Cool on rack until lukewarm, about 20 minutes. Serve with apple custard sauce.

Enjoy!





Apple Custard Sauce:

makes about 2 cups


6 large egg yolks
1/3 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. whole milk (do not use low fat or nonfat)
3 T. frozen concentrated apple juice, thawed
1/2 t. vanilla extract

Whisk egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl to blend. Bring milk to simmer in medium saucepan. Gradually whisk hot milk into yolk mixture. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat (do not exceed) until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 5 minutes (do not let boil). Strain into bowl. Whisk in apple juice concentrate and vanilla. Chill until cold, about 3 hours. 

Can be made a day ahead. Cover and keep chilled.








No comments: