October 11, 2011

Recipe # 5 ~ Chewy Ginger Cookies

   I have to say that Ginger Cookies are quite good, but they were never my favourite! But these ones are actually pretty amazing. This cook book just keeps getting better and better! I didn't think it could, but every recipe is just amazing.

   I made these cookies because I was making a Pumpkin Cheesecake and I needed ginger snaps for the crust. I didn't have any and I didn't want to go drive somewhere and buy them. So I just decided to make some instead. I made one recipe, used half for the crust and the other half got eaten in about 30 minutes. That usually never happens in my house, sometimes it does but not often. My mom has a thing for freshly baked cookies... She just can't resist them :) So when I make cookies I have to put them away right aways, that is a rule she has with me. If I ever bake anything I have to give it away or put it away!

  After I made these cookies I put aside the ones I was using for the crust (about 15) and lowered the oven temperature to 200* F. I put them in the oven for probably a total of an hour, to dry them out so I could crush them for my crust. Bake until very hard :) Not the usually instructions for chewy cookies...

Makes about 2 dozen:


2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
2 t. ground ginger
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. ground cloves
3/4 c. packed dark brown sugar (I used golden and they worked great)
3/4 c. butter, room temp.
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. mild molasses
1 large egg


Whisk flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cloves in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat brown sugar, butter and white sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add molasses and egg and beat until blended. Add flour mixture and mix until just blended. Cover and chill one hour. (I skipped this step cause I needed them baked right away so I could use them for my crust, so if you don't have time you can just bake them)

Preheat oven to 350*F. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll in additional sugar. Place on baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake cookies until cracked on top but still soft to touch. About 12 minutes. Cool on baking sheets about 1 minute. Carefully transfer to wire rack and cool completely. Cookies can be made 5 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature. 






Enjoy!

No comments: